Saturday, March 21, 2020

Our New Normal

Two weeks ago we pulled up to Wawa in a rented car.  Yesterday we pulled up in a shared minivan.  This was the same establishment but yet everything had changed. Across the street was my son's new dentist office.  I wonder if they are closed.  Last time I was here I was able to try out a milkshake at Wawa for the first time using self serve.  Yesterday the self serve was closed and all of the donuts were individually wrapped.  When checking out I was thankful that my debit card had a tap function.  My son held a door open for someone.  They declined because we needed to be six feet away.  It was a beautiful day.  The parks are all closed. The world as we know it has changed.

Later my daughter and I went to Aldi's to buy some groceries.  The couple in the parking lot said that it closed at 7 pm.  I mentioned how empty the parking lot was and they responded that every parking lot is empty.  We stopped at CVS.  They were still open.  My daughter noticed that the same couple was there.  I looked for the thermometer section even though the poster on the door said they were out.  Earlier in the day my son and I had looked at Rite Aid for covers for the ear thermometers. 

A week ago yesterday was Friday, March 13.  My younger son and I went to his school for teacher conferences.  He hasn't been back because the schools closed that day.  On our quest to find toilet paper we visited 10 stores with no success.  We asked a person in the parking lot at Target and the person said that a shipment should come in on Sunday.  On Monday my husband and I returned his car rental.  A lady was dropped off in front of a nail salon.  The nail salon was closed along with all of the non essential businesses.  Car manufacturers are going to make masks.  Beer companies are going to make hand sanitizer.  A virus called Covid-19 has changed everyone's lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment